Gift Cards Give Restaurants More Ways to Upsell
Posted: Dec. 03, 2018
Gift-giving can be a daunting task. That’s why so many Americans rely on gift cards. By the end of 2018, it’s predicted that $160 billion in gift card sales will be made, $11 billion more than 2017. Small and mid-size restaurants, cafés, bars, ice cream shops, and pizza parlors should all be taking advantage of a gift card program through a . Below, we reveal how gift cards present restaurants with more opportunities to upsell and a few guidelines to follow.
Gift Cards Encourage Indulgent Spending
When someone gets a gift card, it becomes a chance to treat oneself. on the psychology of gift-giving and -receiving reveals that people view their gift cards as excuses to indulge. Paying with a gift card feels is basically paying with someone else’s money, and this spurs consumers to forego mundane purchases for more extravagant ones.
So, what does this mean for your restaurant…? Options for upselling! Train your front-of-house to gently upsell customers throughout the meal.
Typically, servers have the easiest time upselling drinks. Instruct the FOH to introduce the holiday cocktail list or a special bottle of wine that’s available, but not to persist in a way that grates on customers.
Subtlety is the key to successful upselling. Rather than trying to sell the price reductions, direct servers to highlight the unique and special qualities of whatever item is being upsold, whether it’s the daily menu special to a long drink. Below are some examples of attractive qualities to convince diners with:
- The sourcing location of the ingredients. Is the beef grain-fed or from a local farm? Is the vegetable a seasonal produce? Is there an unusual cooking method or spice the chef is trying for the first time? make a menu item more attractive in the eyes of the customer.
- Why the wine will go well with their dinner. To sell more expensive wines, train your FOH in the perfect food pairings. Customers enjoy wining and dining and especially learning ways to enjoy wine. With a well-placed recommendation for wine, customers will appreciate the suggestion and hold the entire restaurant establishment in higher esteem. In return, you gain a new loyal customer and a higher bill.
- Dessert—10% of customers With the right dessert suggested in the right way, your serving staff can increase that rate.
One important message to relay to staff is that upselling is not only about increasing the overall bill total, but also to satisfy the whims of your customer and anticipate their needs. At the end of a special meal, customers that pay with gift cards are, hopefully, inspired to come back for another meal with their own wallet.
Additionally, gift cards play a huge role in converting first-time or infrequent customers into loyal patrons. Every table is an opportunity to impress guests and build a lasting, loyal following. There’s a reason some restaurants have a legendary reputation, and that’s mainly because the clientele was devoted to the establishment.
If you are just getting started with gift cards, here are three points to consider:
- Don’t give an expiration date. Because gift cards are treated like cash by the recipient, it means there’s always a possibility someone will come a long time later. Even if years passed, a gift card should always be honored.
- Make setting up a gift card easy for your staff. Add gift cards as a menu item; this gives servers the freedom to load or reload gift cards in minutes. On the Lavu POS, balances can also be looked up immediately when guests want to see how much money is left. See how to order custom-design restaurant .
- See the possibilities for word-of-mouth. When a customer orders a gift card, your team and you should celebrate the moment. This reveals how much the diner likes your restaurant, and it says that he or she wants to share the experience with family and friends. Not only do you have their trust, you are getting new customers. Focus on .
Other Seasonal Promotions
Gift cards can be used year-round and encourage repeat business, however, other seasonal promotions can boost your efforts. Choose another seasonal loyalty program that would be appealing to your customer base:
- To encourage group dinners: For every five people that attend, the sixth meal is free. (Ideal if serving a pre-fixed menu.)
- To promote seasonal specials: Mark seasonal dishes half-off during happy hour, or Holiday Hour.
- To encourage return visits: Diners receive $20 gift cards for every $100 spent.
- To bring in more families: Invite children to dine on the house between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- To attract all customer types: Promote a Holiday Week and give discounts for seven days. It could be a certain percentage off the menu or a discounted holiday menu with special dishes.
- To build loyalty: Offer guests a discounted coupon redeemable on their next visit, after January 1, 2019.
With gift cards and seasonal promotions, your restaurant can flourish. Since you can expect more customers, prepare your staff to handle the demands with .
Posted: Dec. 03, 2018 | Written By: Emma Alois
Schedule a demo with LAVU
It’s a fact: The quality of your restaurant’s POS system can mean the difference between profit and loss. Having the right POS solutions positively affects the functionality of every aspect of your business. From maintaining optimum customer care standards, to your ability to manage your inventory, effective POS can help your restaurant succeed beyond your wildest expectations.