Draw Customers Back with Restaurant Gift Cards
Posted: Mar. 07, 2018
It’s estimated that $100 billion is spent on gift cards each year. If you are not getting a slice of that pie at your restaurant or bar, it’s time to get cooking! Gift cards are one of the most successful promotional programs available, and your restaurant can easily start offering them through Lavu. The biggest players who use gift cards are retailers (from big-box stores to boutique owners) and chain restaurants (think Red Lobster and Applebee’s). But to their detriment, many smaller restaurants have yet to embrace gift cards.
Gift cards are a proven way of bringing back familiar faces and acquiring new customers—up to 41% more. About 90% of gift cards are redeemed within the first 60 days of receiving one, so restaurants can expect to see a steady stream of customers. Once gift-card holders walk through your door, things start to get interesting.
Surveys indicate that spending behavior changes with a gift card. With a monetary “padding” in hand, customers are willing to order more expensive plates, and 25% are more likely to order something new—something they might never otherwise consider.
That is wildly helpful for any restaurant undergoing a menu revamp. Ditching menu items that regular customers are accustomed to can be tricky; you can lessen any negative backlash with gift card promotions. Doing so will embolden your diners to loosen up and try out your new options.
Spending patterns also shift in regards to total dollar amounts spent. The average gift-card holder spends up to 40% more than the amount on the gift card, boosting sales greatly. Not to mention, 71% of gift card recipients make return visits.
Restaurant gift cards are the most popular to gift, so if you have yet to make gift cards a part of your sales program, there’s no better time than the present to start. With your restaurant POS system, gift card transactions take just minutes. For tips on how to promote your restaurant gift cards, see some suggestions below.
How to Market Your Gift Cards
Gift cards have been ranked as the no. 1 gift among shoppers since 2007, which makes them easy to market. It can be assumed that 93% of your diners have either purchased or received a gift card, leaving them fully aware of the benefits. So instead of focusing on how stellar your gift card program is, emphasize the fact that you have gift cards. Here are some ways of doing that:
- Treat dining gift cards as a menu item. Include a purchase at the bottom of the menu, right under the entrées, and include it on your separate dessert menu.
- Create specials exclusive to gift card holders, and add them to the menu. The additional incentive can be either cost-saving or related to exclusivity (such as a chance to dine at the chef’s table).
- Offer attractive packaging that will look good given as a birthday or anniversary gift, or that will look nice given in a greeting card.
- Create a short video that highlights specials and gift cards. It doesn’t need to be more than 30 seconds long. If it’s a hit, the video could go viral among your community.
- Give out free gift cards in small denominations of $5 or $10, to make them easy options for diners to give out as gift options for colleagues and friends. Odds are they’ll also mention your gift card program to someone else, further spreading awareness that your restaurant now offers gift cards.
Don’t forget about your existing marketing avenues! Update your restaurant’s website homepage with a banner featuring your new gift card program, and talk about it on social media. Once your gift card system is set up, you can expect to see an increase in foot traffic and sales in as little as two months.
Posted: Mar. 07, 2018 | Written By: Emma Alois
Schedule a demo with LAVU
It’s a fact: The quality of your restaurant’s POS system can mean the difference between profit and loss. Having the right POS solutions positively affects the functionality of every aspect of your business. From maintaining optimum customer care standards, to your ability to manage your inventory, effective POS can help your restaurant succeed beyond your wildest expectations.